Thursday, August 28, 2008

Now let's begin...

Hello there! And welcome. This is my blog. In it, I will attempt to document my life here in the great Santiago de Chile.

It's been about six months now, living and working and whatnot, and I've decided it's about time to start recording my experiences here 1) for posterity's sake, and 2) to alleviate the constant guilt I feel for not regularly updating my nearest and dearest on my life down here.

This blog's title refers to one of my favorite things to eat during a leisurely breakfast: toasted marraqueta bread with avocado. I usually mash the palta in a bowl and add a touch of olive oil with a pinch of salt. Top it off with my usual Nescafé au lait (a.k.a. Chile's preferred brand of instant coffee mixed with powdered milk-- it grows on you) and you're ready to conquer whatever this smoggy city may bring your way.

Just yesterday I had real coffee for the first time since...well, since right before I arrived in Santiago I suppose. According to chilenismo folklore, the code for drip coffee as opposed to instant coffee is café café, special emphasis on the first café. I ordered one of these café café's one time, feeling ridiculous by the redundancy of such a phrase, and am quite certain that I was served espresso, NOT coffee.

I've since learned my lesson, that being "When in Rome...," and have come to embrace mis momentos Nescafé. Ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog's name. It helps if you don't think of Nescafe as coffee. Just think of it as a 'tasty hot beverage.'